- Founded on the 27th day of the Holy Month of Ramadhan in 1307 AH (Corresponding to 1890 AD) by a few community leaders on the initiative of the then Prince of Arcot, His Highness M. Munawar Khan Bahadur.
- Registered under the Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act of 1860, on 5th October 1894 and subsequently under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act in the year 1978.
- Initially started inside the Historic Walajah Mosque in Triplicane, Chennai under the guidance of late Janab. Shamsul Ulama Moulvi Haji Ghulam Rasool Sahib.
- Initially AHI provided food and accommodation to Muslim Orphan and destitute Boys which gradually blossomed into an institution for Formal and Islamic Education.
- Similar services and facilities were extended to girls too.
- On 24th August 1948, the foundation stone in this campus was laid by the late Honorable Shri Rajagopalachari, the then Governor General of India.
- In the year 1964 with the generous donations received from the well wishers, a grand Masjid was constructed which was completed in the year 1969.His Excellency, Anas Yousuf Yassin, the then Ambassador of Saudi Arabia inaugurated the Masjid.
- On 22nd February,1968, the Boys Home building was inaugurated by the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Thiru C.N. Annadurai.